Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Photographing on Film

I thought that shooting on film was an incredible experience. I had never used real film before this assignment and found that I really enjoyed it. While the experience and assignment have greatly inspired me to experiment more with taking photos with real film cameras.
Shooting on film was initially a little intimidating to me. Having never used film before, I felt like the process was difficult and that it would be easy to mess it up. Working in a group, I was afraid that when the camera came around to me that I would mess it up and destroy the film. When it came time to take my first photo, I decided to just give it a solid try and see what would happen. After the first shot, I felt a little relieved and more confident in what I was doing. The rest of my shots were done with complete confidence and I found that reading the light meter was one of the funnest parts. Finding the correct F-stop was an interesting process that I really liked.
After I got over my initial fear of messing up the film, I found my next challenge. What was worthy of being shot on real film? With digital photos, there's no need to worry about making errors because the photos are easily erased and reshot instantly. Using film is much more complex than digital, the process itself can take at least a day and the photo opportunities are often a one-time-only kind of thing.
While I was overwhelmed by the thought of taking a photo and giving up the outcome to pure chance, I decided to just really think about the composition and content of my photos. When I had made up my mind, I spent a good deal of time meticulously placing the objects that I wanted to photograph. Everything about the real film process makes you really appreciate all of the aspects of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment