Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sound Observation #2

Independence Mall


For my second sound observation I wanted to use my ears in an environment that strongly opposed my first location. I decided to visit the Independence Mall on a Friday night. The mall, which is never particularly packed, is decently swarmed by shoppers. As I sit in the epicenter of the mall, sounds rush at me from every direction. Although the sounds come from nearly every direction, they are all very similar. It's a giant blend of almost unintelligible sounds. Listening closely, many different conversations can be heard, as soon as one is singled out, it is overpowered by another that is either nearer or louder. The overpowering rush of the verbal choir is accompanied by the electronic sounds of cash registers beeping and and the constant soft patter of soft soled shoes on a hard floor. Deuling atmospheric music from varying stores quietly fills the small gaps in the sounds of shoppers strolling through the mall. The space is rich with sounds, none of which are singularly pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment